Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Colorful Kindness ReInforcement

Yesterday I shared a few thoughts on recent acts-of-kindness that had been showered on me:
Receiving a still steaming loaf of home-baked bread is an act of gratitude that really grabs my attention.
Receiving handwritten thoughts of appreciation from kindergarten teachers warms my heart.

I told you then that I've had my eyes open looking for other 'systems' where we can teach kindness, generosity, maturity..... all the goodies on our adult-agenda for the children in our lives. All of this thinking reminded me of this photo I took last fall while we were out in Colorado visiting our very own western-grand-kiddos. It's been waiting for just the right moment to share!

VOILA!!!!!!!!!! Colors on the Counter!

photo of: snowman art project, kindergarten snowman, snowman bulletin board

This is our daughter-in-law, Megan's hand-writing on their simple system for their two oldest.
  • Visual!
  • Colorful!
  • Tactile!
  • Immediate!
  • Participatory!
  • Cumulative!
Doesn't this give you a gazillion ideas?
The specifics to reinforce can be determined at your house.... or in your classroom! 

Having a system?
PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


photo of: You know you're a teacher when

photo of: children and emotions art project, emotions in children's artwork, feelings for children in art

As we consider the 'what' and the 'how' of reinforcement,
it's good to make certain that everyone has the basics on emotions.
What does sad feel like?
What does angry look like?
How will mommy feel when you share your toys?

Label those feelings together.
Then strengthen the positive choices.

-- Debbie --

Here's the link back to the Kindness Wreath.
Here's the link to the 'Filling your Bucket' article.
Here's the link over to PreK+K Sharing: "Kindness is a Super Power."

4 comments:

  1. love the pom poms! I use marbles but really I might change that - these are so bright and colorful adding a whole new visual level to the system! Thanks for sharing!!!

    My system is used to encourage kindness (my girls were fighting often) - they get marbles for helping each other (or mom & dad), sharing with each other, etc...

    It has made a HUGE difference in how they relate to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BERN!!!! Thanks a gazillion for leaving a comment. I'm working to create the comment/interaction portion of my newly expanded efforts and it literally MAKES MY DAY!!!!

      I'm so delighted to be getting connected to the wider world of other bloggers. I'm so appreciative of your style and contribution.

      PomPoms do have some happy advantages over marbles.... hey! Whatever it takes!! All the best. Debbie

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pom pom idea... wonder if my 26month old would get the concept... we need to encourage listening around here.

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...