Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Encyclopedia of Authentic Art Response to Debbie Clement Picture Books

Authentic Art Response Encyclopedia to Debbie Clement Picture Books

Time to build an 'encyclopedia' of my school visits 
and the amazing response to my picture books. 
I have literally hundreds of articles here, 
with thousands of photos
documenting my visits from coast to coast. 

Time to organize them into a one-stop-hop 
for the director or principal
wanting to guide their teachers to a catalog of ideas, 
all in one place.
Major undertaking.  

Let's start at the beginning..... 
I have three picture books. 
The text in each of my books are the lyrics to one of the songs 
that I've written and recorded earlier. 

Each of my books has a CD insert included!
Getting familiar with my work ahead of time
makes our author-visit together a grand slam, hole in one!  

My books are available on my website.... click pic to go to www.RainbowsWithinReach.com 

#ArtMATTERS #MusicMATTERS #PlayMATTERS

This is my twentieth year of travels
and I've had big some pretty amazing school visits. 
Every school designs their own day or residency. 
Here's the flier that I send to prospective program inquiries. 
In one page, I think you get a pretty good glimpse. 


My dear husband Allen acts as my 'events coordinator' 
and he makes all of the travel plans and puts together our calendar of travels. 
I still work out all of the details for the day. 
He knows that one of my favorite things is to be greeted with my 
NAME UP IN LIGHTS! 





It is beyond AWESOME when I get invited BACK to a school! 
Then all of the teachers know what to expect 
and how best to prepare ahead of time.
#LUVit!



Over the years, I have had some pretty amazing 
WELCOME greetings. 
Lots of color! 
Rainbows! 
Handprints!
Artwork! 
QUILTS!!! 

When I walk in and find all of the hard work 
created in anticipation of my arrival.... 
I am filled with with such appreciation. 


LET THE FUN BEGIN!!! 
Take a glimpse at some of the efforts made 
with the participation of eager students, 
to prepare them for my arrival. 

This library was all decked out with enlarged photos
from this very blog!
My blog photos were SURROUNDED by student art & writing! 




It is a toss up as to whether a school will go with a rainbow welcome 
or one with a quilt motif..... 
sometimes the two are mixed together.



I just LUV LUV LUV when my cyber blogger teacher friends become 
#TeacherFriends in real life! 

Do you recognize Kristen of Kristen's Kindergarten
She is my weekly co-host at 
#TeacherFriends Twitter chat on Tuesdays.

Look at this beauty of Kinder-rainbows! 
Isn't is awesome how every rainbow is original?
Every rainbow is unique! 
That's what I call #AuthenticArt!  


Author Visit with Debbie Clement

Rainbow collaboration from individual Traced Handprints

Rainbow from Painted Feet at RainbowsWithinReach




Children's Painted Handprints Create American Flag

RainbowsWithinReach meets Kindergarten Smorgasboard

Author-Illustrator School Visit with Debbie Clement hosted by Kindergarten Smorgasboard


It is great to see the work of students in response to my own illustrations. 
Even more incredible? 
To see an author study in comparison to one of the greats!
#BeStillMyHeart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




LET THE FUN BEGIN! 
My plan is to mix early literacy, picture books, singing and dancing 
into one GIANT extravaganza of memorable learning.


IMG_5033

IMG_5107





photo of: Morning Message in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach





So let's get to my very first picture book. 
It is now eleven AND A HALF years old! 

So I definitely have the most images to share in response to my first born.
Here's the cover!

Click pic to go to my site to order 

And let's take a look at the 'end-matter'
all of those requests from teachers for the eight years previous to publication. 


I made the illustrations for the book from fabric, as small quilts. 
Sixteen quilts professionally scanned into the computer.... 
turns into a thirty-two page book! 

Why, yes. 
We are also the publishers of my books. 
So I write the songs and record them. 
I then design the quilts and sew them. 
And then....... we have the books printed. 

VOILA!


Here's the YouTube video to introduce you to my song. 
We are performing it together in sign language. 

This event was at a community college, with upcoming teachers performing in conjunction with the preschoolers of the county. 














Artful Learning: CO Kindergarten Authentic Art Collaboration in Response to "You're Wonderful" picture book, Author/Illustrator School Visit with Debbie Clement



This next image was JUST sent to me via Facebook! 
How absolutely amazing is it? 
Created in a preschool classroom -- 
studying my work for their entire spring art show!!!!! 
#BeStillMyHeart 
#ArtMatters 



































photo of: Kindergarten Bulletin Board Group Collaboration in Preparation of Author-Illustrator School Visit with Debbie Clement













Debbie Clement Appreciates AUTHENTIC Preschool Art: Patterns, Colors, Shapes















STEM + Arts = STEAM at RainbowsWithinReach: Post-it note Geometry in Preschool


My simple song of affirmation and the picture book format
lend themselves to exploring not only the artwork I used for illustrations, 
but the very words, the adjectives, the affirmations. 

Many schools have taken a CLOSE look at how these WORDS 
can be personalized and become writing prompts. 

#AFFIRMATION 
#SelfEsteem
#ClassroomCulture

"I am wonderful because................" Response to "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement


photo of: Kindergarten Bulletin Board for Author Study "You're Wonderful"






This fall out in Colorado at the Artful Learning Elementary
I entered the library to be greeted with a unique photo booth, 
ready for my day of Artist Residency. 

The plan for our time together included my author presentation, 
followed by an authentic Art, hands-on, open-ended quilt making project, 
and included the literacy/writing component with individual student photos.
Yes! 
We had an entire squadron of parent volunteers in the wings.


Each student was photographed holding the iPad 
where volunteers captured each student's 
WONDERFUL 
sentence using the "Big Words" App.


*Here's a repeat image of the collaboration of all the kinders. 
This time so you can see how the 'writing' component frames the quilt squares. 



photo of: Author Study Bulletin Board for "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement





Personalized T-shirts for "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement

Kindergarten T-shirts Personalized in Response to "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement



photo of: Early Education Emporium: Resources Under One Umbrella via PreK+K Sharing

{Click image to go to my site to order}






"Tall Giraffe" featuring Photographs (incorporating non-fiction) taken in Africa via RainbowsWithinReach

Debbie Clement, author of "Tall Giraffe" with decorated classroom door

Non-Fiction in Early Elementary: Definitions and Emphasis via RainbowsWIthinReach

Kindergarten Children Celebrate Early Literacy in Song & Story with Author (Debbie Clement at RainbowsWithinReach)

Early Literacy Celebration Culminates in a Book for Every Participant! (Debbie Clement via RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: giraffe crafts, paper plate craft for zoo animals, preschool jungle crafts, easy crafts for zoo theme

Preschool Paper Plate Giraffe Creations in Response to picture book, "Tall Giraffe" by Debbie Clement

Giraffes painted by young children, added detail for manes via RainbowsWithinReach

Painted Giraffe Project: Heads made from traced foot shape

"Tall Giraffe" Torn Paper Construction in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach




Kindergarten Bulletin Board for Giraffes in the Jungle

Tall Giraffe Bulletin Board for zoo unit or jungle theme (Kindergarten Artwork)

Torn Paper Mural created for the picture book "Tall Giraffe" by Debbie Clement

Continuum from 'Craftivity' to Authentic Art: Child Created Giraffe Paintings at RainbowsWithinReach

Crayon Quilt Drawings by Kindergarten Students in Response to "Tall Giraffe"

Kindergarten Art Projects in Response to Debbie Clement's picture book, "Tall Giraffe"

Torn Paper Quilt Collaboration for "Tall Giraffe" by Debbie Clement

Kindergarten Art Projects in Response to Debbie Clement's picture book, "Tall Giraffe"


photo of: Giraffe bulletin board, Art project for jungle theme, Tall giraffe paintings



photo of: Four Foot Tall Thank You Letter from Kindergarten Students via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Fine Motor Friday: "As Unique as the Spots on a Giraffe" at RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Children's Drawing in response to picture book "Tall Giraffe"



G is for Giraffe, Art Projects from Preschool to 1st grade focused on Giraffe Theme



And finally.......... my newest picture book! 
"Red, White and Blue" 
is the song that I wrote in the immediate aftermath of September 11th. 
Again, I made the illustrations from fabric as small quilts.

{Click photo to go to my site to order, THANKS!} 








"Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement at RainbowsWithinReach


Patriotic Kindergarten Response to "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement

photo of: Debbie Clement's European Tour for "Month of the Military Child"


photo of: Elementary School Children Waving the American Flag for Author Visit with Debbie Clement

photo of: "Red, White and Blue" Collaborative Quilt at RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: Author-Illustrator School Visit: comparing Quilt to Picture book Illustration with Debbie Clement





photo of: Cooperative Painting with Young Children, Toddler Patriotic Painting

Patriotic Flag Art in Kindergarten in Response to "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement

Kindergarten Art in Response to "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement








Patriotic Preschool Hearts with Stars via RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: Flag paintings by young children, preschool patriotism

Project Based Learning in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach





Fireworks Art Project in Celebration of all things Americana by Kindergarten Students

Author-Illustrator School Visit: Artist Residency "Red, White and Blue" Patriotic Response

Artist Residency: Patriotic Response to Picture Book, "Red, White and Blue" (Quilt Squares)

Artist Residency: Creating Art in Response to Picture Books with Debbie Clement

photo of: Red, White and Blue: Construction Paper Quilts in Honor of 9-11 (in response to "Red, White and Blue" picture book)


photo of: Quilt Response to "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement


American Flag of painted handprints





photo of: Patriotic Bulletin Board in Response to "Red, White and Blue" Picture Book by Debbie Clement


Patriotic Wreath made from Cut Hand Tracings at RainbowsWithinReach "HAND" RoundUP



photo of: Patriotic Art Projects for Elementary School via RainbowsWithinReach

American Flag with Painted Hand Print Stripes at RainbowsWithinReach






Teacher Feedback on "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement



By no means is this article completely comprehensive. 
It is just a beginning..... as I hit the publish button today. 
I will continue to return and add additional documentation and photos, 
as I sort thru the depth of my stockpile. 

I will also add additional resources.

Hopefully this has gotten you excited about the prospect of our working together. 

One of the other ways that I support our extended family, 
is to distribute the alternative seating known as 
WOBBLE SEATS! 

A couple years ago, the Wobble folks had a booth next to ours 
and I fell in LUV with the possibilities that these add to the classroom. 
For some children and especially for "that child" 
these are the answer! 

We now process Purchase Orders from school districts 
and can also be selected as a special request vendor at Donors Choose. 
Please visit our companion site WobbleSeat.com for specific information on ordering. 














Earlier I created this SlideShare to help you create a successful Author Visit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...