Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"Camping" Campout at Preschool

photo of: "Camping" as a Learning Center, complete with campfires and tents

CAMP-OUT!! CAMPGROUNDS!! 
CAMPFIRE!! S'MORES!
photo of: Camping Learning Center at Preschool with Fire Pit for Summer Fun

Summer-time fun!!! 
Are you going camping this summer? I grew up on cross country vagabonds from one national park to the next! 
Are you planning an adventure for the big holiday weekend? 
Are you in charge of a summer program? 

You've come to the right spot for inside-inspiration!!

photo of: Camping Learning Center at Preschool with Fire Pit for Summer Fun

All of the photos in today's post were taken during my two day residency at Sutter Park Elementary School at the end of last month. I LUV making my Author Illustrator School Visits to see such exciting fun as what I have to share with you today. They were making the 'transition' to summer for their students by having an entire building of camping fun. This program is the consolidated housing for the entire Worthington School District's children with special needs. They also have many typically developing children serving as peer models. 

I always judge a program by asking myself if I'd want my WonderPeeps enrolled. You can guess there's a hearty "YES!!!" in response to this amazing program. The building is filled with amazing teachers and their inspirational imaginations galore. I only had enough time to snap photos in four classrooms, so you'll see four different 'campfire' adaptations as we progress around their building. 

photo of: Camping "Tent" Created at Preschool with sleeping bags for reading nook

photo of: Camping Learning Center in Preschool, Making a 'tent'

I don't know who gets credit for this next oh-so-clever piggy back song. These words were hanging on the blackboard, just above the campfire seating. Please leave me a comment if you know who deserves the credit and I will happily come back and edit with the proper attribution. LUV LUV LUV it!!!!

Evening EDITOR'S UPDATE!!!!! I feel like a 'real' blogger now. This is a first. I had no idea where this resource originated this afternoon when I posted this article and now before bed, Laura has left the direct link in a comment below. It turns out that this song (and the vocabulary sheet down below) are available for FREEEEEEEE people!!! Go to HomeSchool Creations by clicking right here. What a fantastic resource from last summer! Thanks to Laura for bringing us the site and a special tip of the hat to Jolanthe for creating such a clever pack and making it available for free!

photo of: Camping "piggy-back" song

photo of: Campfire made from painted handprints

photo of: Differentiation between Day and Night time Activities

This room serves children who are focusing on the very basics of communication. 
Distinguishing between day time and night time is one goal for their camping unit. 

photo of: Preschool Summer Learning Center on Camping Theme

photo of: Indoor campground with campfire and fishing pond

photo of: Preschool Camping Theme with tent and pond

photo of: Make your own 'campfire' for indoor story telling

photo of: Chart for distinguishing Activities between Day + night

photo of: Preschool "Campground" Indoors, complete with two tents and forest

photo of: Camping Vocabulary Words for Writing Center

No camp out is complete until the S'mores are roasted. 

photo of: S is for S'Mores: Children's Picture Book for use in Camping Theme

Whether or not you're headed on a cross country adventure with sleeping bags as your best companion, or you're looking to create some summer time fun in your family room -- I'm sure that these images have you filled with ideas. The creating of a 'tent' by draping blankets over the furniture is a time honored classic that never goes out of style, needs no batteries and is an invitation to explore uncharted territories in depth. 

My next post (click here) will feature the bug sculptures that the students created. You'll want to see those I promise! What's your favorite 'camping' memory? 

-- Debbie -- 

12 comments:

  1. I love your camping ideas!! That campfire you created is beyond precious!! I'm pinning it for my end of the year camping theme. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks so much for stopping by. I know these images are amazing. I only get credit for taking the pictures and sharing them with the wider world. As an author illustrator I get to visit OODLES of schools. This fun I observed on my travels. So happy to get your mind thinking!!

      Delete
  2. Here is a link for the camping song and camping words printables from HomeschoolCreations: http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2011/06/camping-preschool-pack-free-preschool.html

    I recognized it right away because I use her printables all the time with my preschool class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! This is seriously a first! I ask a REAL question in a blog post and someone has the answer and provides the link!!! I feel like I'm a 'real' blogger now! Thanks a TON. I will go edit the post to include your insight!! YEAH!!!!

      Debbie

      Delete
  3. I'm gonna have to remember this for next year! love this! BTW, make sure you stop by my blog and join because my first giveaway is going live in less than 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, thanks so much for popping through. Congrats on your first give-away. Every first and milestone is so much fun!!

      Debbie

      Delete
  4. Yay!!! It just makes my heart smile seeing things being used by you all!!! ;) Thanks so much for sharing and for leaving a comment on my blog tonight. I'm SO glad that the printables were a help to you and the kids in your class. You did an amazing job decorating your classroom!! Can I come too? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you were able to see these glorious ideas for yourself, Jolanthe. Thanks for popping over!

      Debbie

      Delete
  5. I had already pinned this post because i thought it was just so fantastic...but also wanted to come back and say thanks for sharing (and co-hosting!)the Weekly Kid's Co-Op!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jode. Thanks so much for pinning!!! I'm getting better at sharing 'what-I-see' in my travels. I appreciate your collaboration in the Co-op!!

      Debbie

      Delete
  6. These are great ideas for building a "fire" at home. I love the song...It is very catchy! Please add a link to this post to Artsy Play Wednesday on Capri + 3. Today is the first of what will be a weekly linky of arts, crafts and play activities. I hope to see you there. If you link to this post, readers will have access to your great ideas as well as many others.

    : 0 ) Theresa
    http://www.multiples-mom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I went 'right' over to link this post up and your linky is already closed. Insert frownie-face here. My suggestion? Leave it open a tad 'longer' to attract more link-ups. Congrats on the links you've got on your first ever party!

      Debbie

      Delete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...