Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Springtime Science with Seeds

photo of: Springtime Science with Seeds at Kindergarten Rocks via RainbowsWithinReach

SPRING SCIENCE with SEEDS

Yesterday was so much fun! I made a 'house-call' to Osseo Elementary up here in north-central WI. To say this was a spur of the moment serenade is only partially true. It had been in the works since last Friday! LOL!!! 

I LUV LUV LUV making my author/illustrator school visits, but its even more *FUN* when its a surprise for the teachers! This was the first, ever of its kind. You've heard of flash-mobs? This was more of a flash-polka-dot!

Left-to-right: Luann, MOI, Amber
Last weekend was my first ever opportunity to present workshops at the UW-Stout campus annual affair. This spring marked their 35th consecutive ECE conference! Also presenting were the rock-star team of "Kindergarten Rocks"...... Amber Osterman and LuAnn Neuenwschwander.

photo of: Spring Science Experiment with Grass Seeds at Kindergarten Rocks via RainbowsWithinReach

Click your heels three times and I'm in Amber's multi-purpose room with all of Osseo's Kinder-2nd graders! Quite a crowd!! SO MUCH FUN! *I'll see if Amber has any photos to share of our time together and add them later. 


Oh what fun! In the few minutes before and after my presentation I took 497 photographs -- just none of me in action! Those pics of Amber's happy kinder kids sporting their new haircuts have got to be some of my all-time favorites!! Look at how much fun they're having in the photos -- cropped perfectly for spring toupees! 


Just on down the hall, in a fellow kinder room, here's another set of growing grass seeds. It looks like they are adding googlie-eye faces to the cups. I was in such a hurry and this was the only photo I took of these characters, but I think you get the idea! 

Now for yet another nuance to this exercise in delayed gratification. You know that according to Dr. Pam Schiller, the number one predictor of school and life success -- is children who can delay their gratification. Growing seeds is just that reality! Wait. Wait. Wait. Shazam!

Puppet People: Grass seed "HAIR" growing in Vermiculite 
Last week in Dixon, IL (on our way north) I saw this variation of science: grass seeds planted, germinating on the countertop. These little sock people are made using panty hose. Here's a couple of close-ups. 


Next I want to show you a close-up of the water transfer system from the paper cup! So many properties of science. These panty-hose people are first grade experiments. Oh. How I wish I had an 'after' shot to share. I'll have to see if I can get the teachers to take a photo for me in a week or so........ stay tuned! 


***Note to myself. Yesterday my blog had THE.MOST.PAGEVIEWS.EVER in a single day! Today I'm just poised on the verge of the most pageviews in a single month!!! You probably have to be a blogger to grasp how much happy I am with these new milestones. Talk about delayed gratification!!! INDEED! 


ANOTHER MILESTONE FOR ME: I can now embed a photo and link it directly to an earlier article. Just click on the picture above to see what I'm talking about!! It will take you to an earlier article here with seeds!

Simple Science for Spring: Grass Seed becomes HAIR! via RainbowsWithinReach



YES!!! By all means please and thank you for pinning from my article! That is the greatest kindness you can offer. Every pin sends out another ripple and I'm so grateful! 

AMBER ~~ AMBER ~~ AMBER ~~ AMBER ~~ AMBER ~~ AMBER ~~ AMBER ~~ AMBER 



TIME MACHINE ALERT!! 

Here's a RoundUP from the past, that I did earlier with a variety of 'science-type' and growing ideas! The science related ideas and experiments are adaptable for both preschool and kindergarten children and even into the early elementary years, too! 

Science for Young Children, Preschool + Kindergarten Experiments (RoundUP via RainbowsWIthinReach)

Here's a RoundUP from the future where I have pulled together a TON of weather and seasons related arts, crafts, graphs, charts and visual ideas for inspiration. 


Weather + Season Project RoundUP for Early Elementary at RainbowsWithinReach

Now I feel like we're getting started on STEM for early childhood. 
I might as well throw in the math RoundUP, too! 
Also from the way-back machine. 

Making Math Meaningful: Building a Math Foundation for Young Children at RainbowsWithinReach

My one UBBER 'science-song' that has gone digital is: 
"POLLYWOG."
Yup. Metamorphosis in four verses! 

photo of: Tadpole to Frog Metamorphosis through Song and Fine Motor Supplemental Pages (from RainbowsWIthinReach)

Now, here's the reminder of how you landed here in the first place! 

Science in Kindergarten: Growing Seeds from Kindergarten Rocks via RainbowsWithinReach

Needless to say, that has got to be one of the cutest ideas ever. 

Will you be a sweetie and pin if for me? 
Your pin is such a HUGE help in my 'marketing plan.'
Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!


If you are planting seeds, then the End-of-Year festivities can't be too far behind! 
I have two songs that are used all across the country for Mother's Day performances and graduation/moving on/flying up programs. 

Each file is zipped over at Teachers Pay Teachers. 
Each file comes with 2 Mp3s: sung + instrumental, PLUS the sign language chart! 


End-of-Year Performance Songs with Sign Language by Debbie Clement

I also have a new song for graduation slide shows. 


Want to hear my song and watch a poignant slide show? 




-- Debbie -- 
Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - TeachersPayTeachers.com
Now at 306 followers!

We are proud distributors of 
and my husband can answer all of your questions. 
visit our website for bulk discounts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...