Friday, February 15, 2013

Friends, Fun + Fine Motor #45

photo of: Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts, Part 45: Hearts + Friends (via RainbowsWithinReach)
It's the 45th Installment of Fine Motor Friday!


FINE MOTOR FRIDAY, Issue 45
Hearts and Friends
FRIDAY!! It's FRIDAY!!! 
You've made it to another weekend! 
Let the celebration begin.
Today, I'm thinking friends and hearts + hearts and friends.


Yesterday as the result of a very special friendship between my daughter and her neighbor, I was invited to bring my polka-dots to a pajama + pancake party. The next door neighbor's son is Super-Manny that I have referred to here earlier in this article on his surviving childhood cancer, or this article on our making monster puppets together. 


So we gathered about 65 children in the school's gym, for me to share my music and picture books. I was so touched by the school's secretary, taking pictures of the ensuing fun, when she said, "It really takes a special gift to keep our group of young students involved for that length of time." Truth be told it is as easy to me as blinking my eyes. Her comment made me realize that what I LUV LUV LUV to do does NOT necessarily come easily to others. That old bit about birds not being adept at swimming yada yada. 

While I was in their building I saw these AMAZING friendship 'paintings.' Think VERY large paper dolls, cut on the fold. Then think of all of the possible bits and pieces that you could use to embellish them! BEHOLD!!!

photo of: Valentine's Day Friendship Paintings via RainbowsWithinReach

OK. Perhaps a word of explanation is in order. The six teamwork paintings above were each photographed with a red plastic plate placed right below the 'open' heart (negative space.) That's the red you're seeing pop out. The friends captured below are sitting on the radiator drying. 

photo of: Valentine's Day Friendship Paintings via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Valentine's Day Friendship Paintings via RainbowsWithinReach

I had a chance to ask the teacher about the projects finished the day before, and she was candid to reply that she had no idea where the idea originated, but that she's done it for years and years. What I know for certain? These are brilliant. What a great team-building project for peers. Each set of 2 people on the fold were embellished by a team of two. 

These awesome friendships with heart reminded me of this project, featured in my earlier "RoundUP on Kindness."
photo of: "What I Can Do to be Kind" Kindergarten Class Book (via RainbowsWithinReach)
What I can do to be kind: "I can draw a picture for a friend." 

Which reminded me of Episode #25 of this continuing series, that featured THE.NEATEST.CLASS.BOOK.EVER on friendship. Return there for some close-ups of these amazing drawings.  

photo of: Fine Motor Development in Young Children: "What I Like to Do with My Friend" Class Book
"What I Like to Do with my Friend" Class Book

My author/illustrator visit in a Tampa school captured these next, sweet self-portraits surrounding the cutsie-tootsie little rhymes on friendship. Simple is the key with young children. KEEP IT SIMPLE. They looked adorable on the bulletin board. 

photo of: Friends Poem Bulletin Board via RainbowsWithinReach

Those of you have frequented this series for a while know how I like to feature 'the teacher's handwriting' as an example for students on the importance and usefulness in conquering fine motor development. 

Friends like to talk to each other. 

If you're looking for self-portrait ideas, I had an earlier RoundUP on All About Me.
It's stuffed full of Art activities that fit today's friendship theme, too. 

photo of: Self Portraits by Children ("All About Me" RoundUP via RainbowsWithinReach)  

This painting is just too amazing not to feature again.
What a seriously amazing tribute to your friend. 
Draw the two of you together. 
This is a masterpiece from a mature elementary school student.

photo of: Elementary Students Paintings:

Look at all of the fine motor work in a classic "Heart-friend." 
Cutting those hearts. 
Folding those limbs. 

photo of: Classic Valentine Accordion Sweetheart via RainbowsWithinReach
Classic Valentine Accordion Sweetheart 


While I was in the classroom, I happened to spot this little station. 
PERFECT for Valentine's Day and just beyond. 
Can you find the little sweet-heart candies on sale now? 
These are a printable available at PreKinders.com. 

Think of all the fine motor development needed to pick up those candy hearts and place them into the proper pattern sequence spot. 
Think of all the self-restraint required NOT to each them! 


I hope that you were able to do something on Valentine's Day,
where you were able to use your gifted-ness. 
It's not too late to start. 
Swim where you are planted. 



-- Debbie -- 

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, I love how incredibly happy you always look when you are entertaining/teaching children. Our joy always radiates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant your joy....but as teachers, I guess I hope our joy radiates, too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...