Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mittens, Poem + Projects


MITTENS!!! 
In central Ohio -- we still need mittens! 
Check out this clever little media-exploration going on in Friendsville, Texas while I was there last month on my Author-Illustrator school visit. 



Choose your favorite color of tissue paper and then work with glue to make your own mitten glorious. As you can see from these finished projects -- there was a lot of focus and energy sustained in the creation of these winter mittens!  

Last week I returned to the kindergarten extravaganza that had once hosted my own WonderBoy. [He's now across town with the big kids in first grade, but one can never thank Mrs. Davis enough for her launching him successfully.] 

photo of: Winter Mitten Anchor Chart Poem via RainbowsWithinReach

Take a close look at the anchor chart she had hanging. 
Explore those color words! 
Rhythm and rhyme! 
Hand written by the teacher! 
Three cheers for Mrs. Davis!!!

I can imagine with repeated performances, familiarity and some jack-rabbit readers, it wouldn't be long before you could use some percussion instruments to really make the poem 'sing.' 
Rhythm. Rhyme. Repetition.


photo of: Mitten Art Work on the Bulletin Board via RainbowsWithinReach

This collage is another variation of tissue paper mittens that I saw last year on my travels in Florida. Isn't it interesting how the addition of some cotton batting fluff, makes the detail of a 'cuff' just that much more believable, fun, and three-dimensional? Attention to details!! The yellow bulletin board paper backdrop makes the art projects "pop" just that much more. 

This final Winter Poem is hanging right now in our WonderTwinzees preschool corridor. I couldn't find any credit for the author, but I could see in the very bottom border that it is a product from Scholastic. MITTENS! Poetry! Stay warm! 


-- Debbie -- 

photo of: Life Cycle of Frog, Metamorphosis, Support Materials for Science in Kindergarten, Preschool Science. Mp3 Support Materials for "Pollywog" by Debbie Clement

**Are you tired of thinking about winter? 
Ready to think about spring? 
I have the PERFECT Pollywog-to-Frog zipped file with my song + art.
The Mp3 of four verse 'Pollywog' is included with original quilted fabric illustrations for each verse!

It's available now at Teachers Pay Teachers !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...