Friday, September 21, 2012

Fine Motor 29 Back-to-School on Wheels Edition

photo of: Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts: The WHEELS Edition

WELCOME or Welcome BACK!!! 
It's Fine Motor Friday. 
Welcome to installment #29 in the series. 
This is the back-to-school edition with a special look at all things with wheels. 

School is in full swing. 
Let's get started with some centers that encourage writing. 

photo of: Kindergarten Writing Center

photo of: Post Office Writing Center


If you're a regular reader here you may remember me quoting the brilliant Anonymous with the chestnut, 
"The bridge to reading is through the child's name." 
Dare I piggyback on the tall shoulders of Anonymous? 
You have my permission to quote me. 

"The foundation of all writing is built on the child's name." 
-- Debbie Clement --

Let's get those names front and center! 

photo of: Kindergarten Names in Pocket Chart Color Coded by Group

photo of: Kindergarten Group System

****I have an earlier roundUP of inspiration, where I gathered together all sorts of projects having to do with names. Click here for those ideas. 
photo of: Name Charts, Name Recognition, Name Activities (RoundUP via RainbowsWithinReach)
Earlier "Name" RoundUP 
I have featured lots of 'sign-in' systems here in the past.
That earlier article has 6 variations grouped together for a variety of ages, needs and capabilities.  
photo of: 6 Different Fine Motor "Sign-in" Systems used in Preschool and Kindergarten, fine motor development

Now I have yet another classroom system.
I saw this one just last week making my local Author/Illustrator school visit. 
You'll notice that some of the students require the guide of dotted lines to follow. 
While others in the same room are already independent. 

photo of: Fine Motor First Name Work

photo of: Fine Motor Sign-in System Teaching First Name Handwriting Skills

In this classroom Fine Motor REALLY does lead to Fine ARTS!!! 
As soon as the students get signed-in they then move over to the table with the water colors! 
LUV LUV LUV it!! 

photo of: Water Color Paint Station at School: Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts

photo of: Writing Bucket of Materials

So now to the 'wheels' component of today's installment. Just how do you get to school? Out here in rural-world its all about the traditional yellow school bus! These beauties are an exercise in cutting skills and were created by 'at-risk' preschoolers within the elementary school setting. My favorite parts on each project are the WINDOWS! 

Vance is obviously impressed with the steps into the bus. 

photo of: Preschool Bus Project for Fine Motor Skills: Cutting out Shape

Here's a slightly more sophisticated school bus project. I photographed these happy buses a while back during my NYC tour. These view are of Long Island. How appropriate that these works have the buses driving through the city!

The part I LUV about these next pieces? They are all constructed out of the very basic shapes. I see squares, rectangles and circles. These were directed by the building's brilliant art teacher, but this concept could easily be produced in the classroom during a study of shapes! 

photo of: Kindergarten Art Project of School Buses in the City from Simple Shapes (Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts: RainbowsWithinReach)

While I was at Southern Door Elementary I was able to pop in on a few of the classes in action while I was between performances. I was able to see this little fellow at work so diligently adding the details to his drawing. It reminded me of other images I have stored up that have 'wheels.' So let's think of wheels. Turning.   
I wish I had a video of the focus and concentration in the creation of this dirt bike. 

photo of: Drawing a Mountain Bike

With something as complex as a wheeled machine,
there are several ways to approach your subject. 
One theory would be to start with the framework first. 

photo of: Drawing a Bike with a kindergarten Student

........and then add the wheels at the end. 

photo of: Drawing a Bike with a kindergarten Student

Another possibility is to 'provide' wheels before you even get underway. 
Glue those circles into place and then draw your bike around the orbs. 
In this instance each child received 2 black 'foam' circles. 

What a great prompt to start an observational drawing with a young child. This photo below was in the hallway at Concordia in Chicago and much of their focus comes from a Reggio approach to working with children. 

photo of: RainbowsWithinReach: Observational Drawings of Bikes with Young Children



Let me conclude with this final drawing by a second grader. 
The assignment was to use parquetry blocks. 
LUV LUV LUV his race car conclusion! 


To end up with imaginative, creative, unique and individual 'work' such as this race car we need to lay the foundation all along with children. The reality is that those fine motor skills need to be refined over time. Simple cutting skills in preschool are a challenge for many. Given time and opportunity those skills are mastered. 

What an awesome and meaningful 'job' to be given the clipboard and tally the requests of peers around lunch choices. YEAH KINDERGARTEN! 


***The professional hole-diggers were digging a hole in front of our little place up here and in the process they sliced our cable to the internet: AKKKKKKK! This article is what I had in the hopper. I'm at the library now and will update it as the afternoon unfolds. I know I'm missing some links etc. If it doesn't all make sense, now you know the rest of the story. 

-- Debbie -- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...