Sunday, December 11, 2011

Smiles and Drawing Faces


I wear a lot of hats. I write original songs for children and let me tell you that's a happy hat. Being a music-lady brings me joy as I share joy along my travels! I go where I get invited and we sing my songs. So I guess that makes me something of an entertainer, too. I'll always remember the teacher who told me with great sincerity, "You're the Carol Burnett of Early Childhood Education."

Carol Burnett and Debbie Clement! I take that as the most sincere of compliments. Every time I read another piece of brain research that says something about the role of humor in education..... how we retain more when we're engaged, when we're happy, when we're laughing -- I vow to get funnier. When we laugh and smile our brain chemistry changes and we're going to remember more easily. When we're chuckling along our serotonin level changes and we're more likely to remember. The very best thing about children? How easily they can be brought to laughter!!!!


Every time I am asked to give a performance for children, I can count on the fact that there will be 'early birds.' What do I do with the early birds? I get them warmed up! I always start off by asking them to show me their smiles!! I get out my camera and I take pictures of their smiles. What does smiling do? It lead us to little giggles of happy. Little giggles of happy bring us naturally to laughing. Before we even begin I know that I'm waking up brains and starting the dance-of-the-dendrites, as all of those interior brain connections start lighting up with laughter.

My newest hat is that of being AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR of picture books -- as I translate my children's songs into illustrations and on to book format!!!! What delight to share my written word and pictures with children. I am now working extra hard on my school visits to document the evidence of the children's written "stories."


Their stories start out very simply. They make a 'mark' on the world. It is a perceptive teacher that learns that these marks above are lizards...... and not just any lizards. These are Lizards 8!!! This is a specific story. It is the story of LIZARDS EIGHT!! Before you know it, these marks on the world start taking on greater form. Look closely and you can see a self-portrait beginning to emerge!




Then soon enough that self-portrait evolves and grows beyond introspection and it includes others.




From there it is just a hop, skip and a jump..... a smile + a giggle, which evolves into laughter galore.
As an illustrator myself, I want to follow the evolution of this fellow artist.
I want to purchase their first picture book!!!
I want to be part of this celebration.
I want to laugh with this author.
CHEESE!!!!


This post has been 'linked-up' at Innovative Connections..... check it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...