Thursday, October 13, 2011

FAME & Enrique Feldman



WELCOME, ENRIQUE!!!!


Friends + Readers, I'm THRILLED to have the opportunity to introduce you to another member of the creative-community-at-large. Enrique is celebrating the release of his first ever 'guide-book' for the early childhood educational community. This man is hard to pin down to any singular discipline, as he's a power-house of ideas on all things 'creative'.  He's equal parts mentor, inspiration, musician, writer and friend. What a pleasure to interview this world class Artist.

To begin with Enrique, how about a quick summary of your background, and let my readers in on some of the diverse pieces of your professional quilt. Start at the beginning, please.

"As a student at the University of Arizona I studied to become a band director and I did that, having been the Assistant Band Director at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and the Associate Director of Bands and Professor of Tuba and Euphonium at the University of Arizona from 1992 - 1997. However, I always remembered an experience as a student at the University of Arizona with the Early Childhood Music Lab. That experience stayed with me and in 1997, I resigned from the University of Arizona and founded the F.A.M.E. Foundation: Fostering Arts-Mind Education Foundation, my non profit organization."



Yes, that's when we were first introduced to each other, just as you were launching F.A.M.E.  Explain an overview of the 'templates'  you designed that we used when training teachers -- all the way back at the beginning.

"I authored "Life Learning Techniques" which have been recognized as successful by the National Endowment for the Arts and which have been used with over 40,000 children and families in multiple states in the U.S. and in Mexico. The work I'm involved with regarding children and teachers has become a movement, a revolution as I collaborate with other foundations and other artists like Debbie."

It's exciting to see how F.A.M.E. has expanded over the years and continues to grow!
                                                                NAEYC Presentation: CELEBRATE!
"My perspective is unique in that I have travelled so much and continue to work with children from different cultures and backgrounds. What I see is a growing number of adults who are increasing their awareness related to the importance of the Arts and the importance of finding our inner child again, not just to improve our practice, but to elevate how we live. This is the essence of my work as an Artist."

I think the readers would get a kick out of knowing what else you continue to juggle artistically. Share just a snippet of that work if you would.

"As an Artist today, I'm a film composer and performing artist, having gone back to my roots as a pianist and vocalist. My most recent film as a composer, Gun Hill Road, is in theaters and will be on DVD and Netflicks soon. I've also been fortunate to have been nominated for 2 Grammy's and I feel blessed to be engaged in areas that I have a deep passion for as both an educator and personally in my artistic endeavors."  

Congratulations!!! You've always got a lot going on. Now please let's focus on your newly released book from Redleaf Press!!

 "Living Like a Child a handbook and guide for teachers, parents and anyone who works with young children. The book is focused on both techniques and concepts to improve how we as adults can connect with children and in the end connect with ourselves and other adults. Even though the material in the book is research-based and comes from over a decade of work in the field, the book itself is intended as a fun and inspiring read.
 

There are many techniques described in detail in the book, so anyone who reads it will have plenty of 'take aways.' While the focus is on early childhood, this book would help anyone who teaches improve their craft. Specifically, the book describes the importance of using abstract and linear questions as a bridge to critical thinking skills and how to use improvisation based on children's responses as a bridge to creativity.

The book also describes how to engage the different learning styles along with teaching in both width and depth. Additionally, how to use music is addressed in detail. My favorite chapter is the final one titled "An Invitation to Live in the Eye of the Storm." This relates to how we can stay relaxed and focused in what is sometimes a storm of energy and also related to personal challenges we all face."

I've always enjoyed your technique 'Surfing the Words' captured in the photographs above of your reading to the children. How can non-musicians implement these strategies found in your book?

"Actually, this book is geared for folks who aren't musicians. It's really for the everyday teacher and parent who want to be more artistic in their approach and interactions. There are so many ways the techniques can be used, from breathing and relaxation games -- to strategies to improve how young children focus -- to music with literacy approaches -- to games where we actually 'become' words and emotions with our bodies. Everything is very engaging. It's all a lot of fun!"


You're such an inspiration. Do you have a favorite inspirational quote?

"Yes, I have many, but one of my favorites that we still use on our certificates for the teachers who go through our professional development is the following anonymous one."
                                                                 Enrique's Classical CD  
“When you are inspired by some great purpose, all your thoughts break their bonds; and you find yourself in a great new and wonderful world.”
With that in mind, I invite you to join my new educational and revolutionary group on Facebook titled "Living Like a Child". It already has many wonderful video's, quotes and advice related to early childhood education and living like a child. I hope to see you there!



When is your next opportunity for teachers-at-large to see your ideas in action?


"The next big opportunity is my presentation at NAEYC is Orlando. I know your fanclub will be excited to see your contribution within the FAME format as well, Debbie. It's great to have the expanded workshop format and we're up first thing on Wednesday morning beginning at 8:30!"


See ya there!!!! As always, I welcome questions in the comment section that follows this post. I'll get your thoughts & queries for Enrique's feedback & response in a follow-up in the future.

******Click here to see an earlier post on FAME Foundation.
******Click here to see other NAEYC presentations where Enrique + I have presented together:
               NAEYC Washington DC: Post one     Post two     Post three
               NAEYC Dallas: Post one   Post two

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Debbie! It's great to be around others who see themselves as still growing, as a student of life! Bravo to you with all your wonderful, marvelous, magical, beautiful work!!! Enrique

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...