Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dr. Katz at Concordia

Dr. Lilian Katz @ Concordia's annual back-to-school conference. Chicago-land.

I told you that I had old-time pictures that I hadn't ever reported upon. I was fortunate enough to hear her keynote to the entire crowd. Ironically, I had once shared a cab with her at NAEYC a couple of years ago -- and knew that she would be very personable and share stories of her family. She started her address by speaking of how early childhood professionals can compare 'our' work with that of her husband -- as he consults with builders for massive new buildings. She started by speaking of the significance of early childhood being compared to the very FOUNDATION for life.

Her husband told her that he ALWAYS considers three things when beginning to consult on a new building:

  1. Learn EVERYTHING about the elements that the building (child) will need to deal with
  2. Be very clear about the structure to be built -- the materials available
  3. Be certain that you know all the forces that will be 'acting' on the structure. 
She quoted her husband as saying, "If you don't get it right from the beginning -- it is VERY expensive to repair." 







Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I am so jealous of you meeting Lilian Katz. She is like a demi-god in EC circles. You are one lucky puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg..... I consider myself so fortunate to meet the likes of Lilian Katz and other brilliant wonders of our time. It is one of the biggest perks of moving in these circles. She was so engaging -- up close in the taxi (completely unassuming) and in front of the gathered masses as well! She's the real-deal for sure.

    -- Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...