Monday, January 4, 2010

Cancer Announcement

Announcement. (Who would have ever thought I'd be putting this up on FB?) I have breast cancer, again. No beating around the bush. The great, wonderful, amazing news is that this cancer is again, EARLY stage. Discovered due to my hyper-overdrive proactive med team, to whom I am deeply indebted. My pathology report came back late today: DCIS, 3 CM. Exhale.

The sun will come out, tomorrow. I have spoken to each of my daughters and my parents...... so everyone is in the loop from the get-go. I have scheduled surgery for Jan 15th -- assuming we can get all of the paperwork & pre-op tests in order by then, which is my greatest hope. The sooner the better. The more the merrier. A stitch in time saves nine. (Just couldn't help myself.)

This is my chance to be candid with my loving & supportive, non-cancer friends. Please don't tell me that 'you're sorry'. Please do your level headed best not to look at me with cow-eyes of sorrow. This is early stage. You may refrain from telling me how strong you think I am, too for that matter....or what a fighter you think I am and please leave out that you know that I will conquer this..... you may also delete any stories of how you have seen cancer patients suffer.

What I would love is laughter. Prayers. Calm. Acceptance. Joy. Funny stories. Supportive posts that let me know that you're thinking about me.

I would really like to be very 'selfish' and focus on me and not how I'm concerned about telling you.... geesh I hope that makes sense. I really hope that I don't have to hold your hand, because you're so worried about me. How much can you put in a FB post?? LOL. It is EARLY stage cancer. We have every hope at this point to think that it is 'self-contained.'

I am taking the BIG jump to do everything in my proactive power to thwart ever needing to have a gray cloud over my shoulder & I realize that even this doesn't promise me a sunny eternal forcast.

Breast cancer is a wicked disease. I had a 2-5% chance of being back where I am today. All of my stripes and polka dots and happy-face, bright attitude did not keep me from this day. Have your mamogram. Walk with your pink sisters. Make a donation. Say a prayer. Mine is early stage. Mine is the best possible news.

There are many, many, many women not nearly as fortunate as I...... I will be doing my level best to bring their spirit, spunk, determination and example into my journey, in an effort to keep my perspective and pay them honor.

My puppies have served their purpose and now they're going to be gone. Good riddance cancer.

All prayers for calm & acceptance are gratefully and enthusiastically accepted. I will probably cry the next time I see you -- until I've wept sufficiently..... and then it will be time to get on with making music & making merry & making magic. Well actually this will all overlap a bit. The making of merry and the crying and the kindness and the pain and the sorrow and the joy.

Thanks friends. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

***I wrote this all on my FB post, only to learn there was a limit. How funny is that?

3 comments:

  1. Yes there is a limit to how much you can write in facebook - that is because they know there are people like you and me who just have way to much to say:)

    Since we get to be all about you right now:) then I am going to write a song for you on my blog! It will be a cute one called "The color pink." I will let you know when I have it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet your butt, Debbie. I totally understand where you're coming from. But then, I've been there, done that, made the tee shirt. The thing is, this is a really, really good gosh darn object lesson for all of us who've had It & all of us who've never had It. No matter what they tell us, no matter what drugs we take or what they hack off, we have to keep checking...forever. All of us. Not just those of us already in the club. ALL of us. Not just the women or men who fit the so-called mammography guidelines.

    All of us.

    Love you, Sistah. You let me know when you're ready to sing again & we can rehearse together. I'm very VERY good at harmonizing..."Goldy, Goldy, Gooooold Fish...!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done! You absolutely have my prayers for calm and acceptance, all the way. And in the spirit of good cheer ... I want to hear Deborah's song too!

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...