Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Rainbow Bouquet!!!!


Did you follow that photo collage story?

Let's rewind with a few words.

I had the unique opportunity to visit my blogging cyber-friend's school in southern FL.
made all of the arrangements for me to come as an 'author-illustrator' to Gator Run Elementary.

She was so clever to set up the schedule to have her own 2nd graders come to my last presentation.

After six groups of singin' + dancin' I might have lost just a tad bit of my steam........
Then just before our seventh and final fun of the day..........
Up comes one of her sweeties and hands me an empty vase trimmed with a pink polka dot ribbon.

        And one-by-one her students each come forward to add a single stem flower to my empty vase.
                  Yup. That's me. I was squeezin' my lips together, when it dawned on me what was happenin'.
                                          (Didn't think I should start crying right then and there.) 

                 There are all sorts of analogies:
                                  about needing all of the colors -- to make a rainbow.
                                               Or each unique snowflake being a special treasure.
                                                       Or every flower's need to contribute to a bouquet.

          It's at moments like now, reflecting on the experience that I long to be a poet.


                                               Every school visit I make is unique.
I'm pretty certain I've received flowers previously.
But you can bet the farm:
this is the first time to watch the bouquet emerge as a collaborative project right before my very eyes!!!!

EVERY SCHOOL VISIT I ARRIVE AS AN EMPTY VASE.
It's the colors of the children's participation that make the bouquet: marvelous and beautiful.  

Who thinks of such a unique grand finale???
Denise. That's who!!




12 comments:

  1. Happy flowers . . . bucket-fillers for sure . . . to return the favor that you did for them by sharing your contagious energy with them. A job, WELL done, my friend!!! Sounds to me like you're going to the Northeast as several of her friends in a few of the colonial states (plus Maine!) weighed in that they'd like you to come there, too!!! Safe travels, my friend.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara. It is such an honor to come in as the 'big splash' among teacher's daily work and toil with the students. I'm the on that gets my name up in lights while they put in the long hours. Denise's thoughtful finale to such a great day was the exclamation mark of joy!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. BEAUTIFUL INDEED. Just like Denise! Beautiful in every way!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes. It was. Everything about the day perfect. Krissy. I will tell you that she totally caught me 'off-guard' with this tribute. Even as each child came forward to add to the vase I was barely grasping how awesome it was.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was indeed wonderful, Mandy. I know that you can use this very idea in your significant work. Just remember -- we owe the thought to Denise.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Brian, I am sooooooooo happy that there are pictures of Denise's generosity in-action. It was such a special kindness. One I will long remember!

      Delete
  6. I'm getting all teary eyed reading this! I knew if anyone would appreciate something like this, it would be you!
    I'm so glad we have the amazing pictures to remember the day :)

    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise. Teary-eye'd indeed. Sometimes I just have to pinch myself over how the dots get connected in my life. I count your support at the top of the list of fortunate gifts to come into my life.

      Thank you for managing all of the details..... but thanks so much for your dear 'over-the-top' sweet kindness. This experience is one for the book: empty vase to bouquet over-flowing.

      (((((((((((((Denise)))))))))))))))))

      Delete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...