Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sign Language Extravaganza




You guessed it! We always end with our whole group participation "show." I had a lovely conversation with Linda, the children's librarian at this location-- about my 'performance' and how it's different from other performances that they've had in the past. We talked at some length about my goals of getting the children involved. The "show" is really about them and about their working together, the culmination of which is documented above. All of my work is to help facilitate that effort: keep it simple, get them involved, work together, keep it moving, have them participate, make them laugh, engage the oldest & the youngest, give them an opportunity to be on stage, let them feel the applause for their efforts..... well you get the idea. It is my experience that children respond to this format. They are eager to learn. They've taught me how to structure things to their strength. We make a good team -- as you can see.

[Today I had the good fortune of having a volunteer from our audience, 'read' my book with the children during their performance. It turns out that she's a kindergarten teacher in the local school system. One of the patrons had given her a copy of my book, following my performance here two years ago, as an end-of-the-year thank you. So today she came for herself, to see me in action. I'm so appreciative. Ripples. Don't ya just love ripples??]

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...