Friday, March 6, 2009

Flotsom & Jetsom Nevelson





This whole project "started" when I found a set of four paperboard 'coasters' with white polka-dots on black (my absolute favorite, simple design of all time.) These were at JoAnn Fabrics earlier this winter selling for a dollar for the set of four. I indulged my whim and purchased three sets -- for a total of 12 polka-coasters. THEN, we got here to our new house with the very white, white walls. THEN I went to the art museum in Houston and fell all over in love again with Louise Nevelson's work. The next step is undoubtedly the most important step: THEN I gave myself permission..... permission to have fun, permission to play, permission to think about color.

When I was back in Ohio before my Atlantic City adventure, I had time for a quick-root thru my stash of "goodies" that just mysteriously seems to accumulate there in my studio. So I grabbed up a bunch of odds & ends [George Ramsey, my Wittenberg graphic design professor always used the term: 'flotsom & jetsom' when describing oodles of details. He also used to say, "that's just a lot of bananas on the ceiling," if he was unhappy with a piece, but that's a whole different post.]

A trip to the Ocala Hobby Lobby landed a 30" by 40" stretched canvas, (on sale of course) as well as a biggish container of Granny Apple Green acrylic paint. Those two ingrediants were married on our back lanai. Then the real fun commenced. I had a total of 16 heavy coasters..... as I purchased three happy color ones at the Houston Art Museum gift shop and found one lone polka friend in Ocala's JoAnn's. Being the extreme math-wizard that I am, I then realized I'd need another 32 'squares' to fill out the canvas -- with a total of 48 mini-collages. Quite ironically I'd purchased a set of 40 art-foam rectangles that had three of the exactly correct finished edges...... and rectangles can be turned into squares with focus (six different colors in the set.) Hocus-pocus. Forty-eight back drops ready for embellishing!!

Buttons, pompoms, curtain rings, V8 juice continer lid, scrapbooking brads..... you get the idea; Oh, and a hot glue gun, with lots of glue sticks AND a couple of tubes of the amazing -- that's on the label, E6000 adhesive. The E6000 was used for the 'heavier affixin'......Now all I need is a hammer & nails!! This piece just makes me smile from ear-to-ear. If anyone's keeping track, this is One Day Project #11. Seriously. Serious smiling.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE this! It looks just like the fun I am always hoping to have with my stash of flotsom and jetsom! (but usually don't quite...)

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...