Saturday, November 7, 2009

FIFTY Years of Service


Action for Children. We gathered together to acknowledge and celebrate a life of service given to benefit children and families. It's very difficult to believe that Betsy Valko (center person smiling in the first picture) could have given fifty years to children, because she looks like she maybe, possibly could be almost fifty years old herself. The comment was made in the official remarks and love section of the afternoon, that when you are involved doing what you love you don't age. Betsy is evidence of that concept. She has been the hostest with the mostest for five decades!!

Betsy Valko had me involved in several projects over the last decade of her tenure. I presented several evening training events under her watchful eye, in collaboration with AFC. I remember her running circles of energy into the night -- as we packed up and had conversations out in the parking lot. Possibly my favorite Betsy-invitations were the times that she involved me in the Retreats held at the State Park for the "In-Home Care Providers" thru the years. Those were great events. Always well received by those in attendance. Always memorable.

I was asked to bring some song to the celebration. My favorite part was having Betsy's three grand-daughters act as my own personal back up singers. We had a few minutes to get our act together and for me to teach them the sign language to support my new "Family & Friends"..... they were capable enough to learn "You're Wonderful" in the midst of it's unfolding. Their moms were seen pinching their lips -- so as not to cry. Been there, done that. Fifty years. Wow. I just have another twenty to go......

P.S. That's Sherri & Mary in the second photograph. We hadn't seen each other in ages.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...