Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kindergarten Author Study: Clement + Willems

photo of: School Visit with Debbie Clement

Author-Illustrator School Visit.
ROYAL TREATMENT. 
This is what the 'royal treatment' looks like.... 
if you've ever wondered. 
If you've ever wondered how it feels to be appreciated,
I'm about to show you a school visit that was a grand slam. 

photo of: Author-Illustrator School Visit Welcome for Debbie Clement

That photo is about 75% of the greeting that I saw when walking into the Roosevelt Elementary School media center for our time together. Yes. That's an emotional moment for me. I've been greeted by LUV before, but this was a whole new level of appreciation.

It's STUNNING. It's INCREDIBLE. It's literally BREATH TAKING!!! There were 10 panels (each taken from my blog,) each enlarged to poster-size format to make that accordion wall across the top -- sitting atop the library's book shelf. No matter how far I backed up, I couldn't get the whole backdrop into my view-finder and stay in focus. How many superlatives do I have stored in my surprise bag? Now take a look at some of the student created 'quilt' detail. 


Here's a little glimmer of our time together. 
I'm introducing my book, "You're Wonderful" 
and we are comparing the quilt to the finished book. 


Here I've recruited one boy + one girl from each class to be a captain to help me, lead my 'following directions' song and dance, "All Together Now." We're just getting ready to get started. The smiles are contagious. The energy is infectious. 



After our time together singing, dancing, signing, reading, jumping + freezing together -- I also had just enough time to zip quickly through the kindergarten building, with my camera clicking as fast as it could click. Look what I found outside of Mrs. Miller's classroom. Chances are you have never been introduced to my work. My first picture book is entitled, "You're Wonderful" and basically has six vocabulary words -- repeated in each of six verses. Can you guess my lyrics by looking at their author-study bulletin board? 

photo of: Author Study Bulletin Board for "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement
Mrs. Miller's Kinder-Class Author Study Bulletin Board for "You're Wonderful" with Quilted Student Writing
I promise to share the heart-felt individual kinder-writing above on Friday, as part of my golden fiftieth Fine Motor Friday RoundUP edition. I have a lot of other glimpses to share tonight. Right beside Mrs. Miller's student writing pictured above is the creative work of Mrs. Hake (our evening hostess and the grandma of Ella, pictured with me in that first image in front of the school sign -- where my name is up-in-lights.)

Look at the bulletin board of the kinder-student self-portraits and the self-selected adjective of their choice. Mrs. Hake!!!! Brilliant. BRAVO! AmAzInG! LUV LUV LUV it!

photo of: Kindergarten Bulletin Board for Author Study "You're Wonderful"
Mrs. Hake's Kinder-Class Bulletin Board Author Study for "You're Wonderful" 

NOW ENJOY A CLOSE-UP OF THESE HEART-FELT KINDER SELF PORTRAITS.  

photo of: Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

photo of: Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

photo of: Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

photo of: Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

photo of: Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

photo of: Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study


Beyond the fact that I LUV these two bulletin boards showcasing the student response to my work.... the even bigger, mind-blowing, OUT-of-this-WORLD, is Mrs. Hake's other bulletin board. Are you ready for this? There's the Debbie Clement bulletin board and just beyond? There's the Mo Willems bulletin board author study. BE STILL MY HEART. 



Can you imagine my brain and heart racing fast enough to fathom that these kinder-kids are learning about Mo + Debbie in the same season? Compare and contrast our two authors. 

No kidding. I feel like I have 'arrived.' It happened in West Palm Beach. On a Tuesday. 


photo of: Kindergarten Author Studies Comparison of Mo Willems and Debbie Clement

Now enjoy a few quick vignettes around the classrooms. 

photo of: Three Ways to Read a Book Anchor Chart

photo of: Writer's Revise Anchor Chart in Kindergarten

photo of: Writer's Workshop Procedures Anchor Chart

photo of: Writer's Workshop Procedures Focus Wall in Kindergarten

photo of: Adding Details Anchor Chart

photo of: "How Many Days have We Been in School" Place Value in Kindergarten


photo of: Anchor Charts Hanging on Hangers in Kindergarten (Environmental Print) via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Kindergarten Anchor Charts (hanging from hangers) via RainbowsWithinReach

So much more to say about this WONDERFUL day. 
So much more. 
My heart is full. 
So is my memory card. 
You'll be seeing a lot of Roosevelt Elementary over the days and weeks ahead. 
It takes a village!!

P.S. If you arrived via the anchor chart pin..... 
I bet you'll want to take a look at this RoundUP of Anchor Charts from the future! 

photo of: Collection of 100+ Anchor Charts and their Organization via RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

I am so grateful for EVERY pin. 
As a self-published author your pin brings new visibility to my work. 
Thank you for pinning generously! 

-- Debbie -- 



3 comments:

  1. Do you have a list of all your anchor charts? I love that idea. I am just working on building up my writing centre and would like to make some. Thanks. If so, could you please email me at lkrieger@capeisgreat.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a collaborative Pinterest pinboard dedicated to Anchor Charts.
      http://pinterest.com/debbie_clement/anchor-charts-foldables/

      Hope that helps!

      Debbie

      Delete
  2. I am a high school English teacher, but I use a lot of anchor charts. I love what you do with them to store them for the next time, but I'm having trouble figuring out how you connect them to the hangers. Can you tell me how you do this?

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...