Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Anchor Charts: Organize your Collection

Anchor Charts on HANGERS! 

photo of: Anchor Charts on Hangers! Organization and Collection of Anchor Charts: RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

Welcome to my rainbow. Here's a pot-of-gold for you! 
Chances are good that you're new here. Glad you found me. Thank you Pinterest. Please pin to your heart's content! 

First off. The images you are about to see are NOT from my classroom. {I don't HAVE a classroom.} As an author/illustrator of picture books -- I make school visits to share my work. I then get 'INVITED-to-visit' classrooms. While I'm on site I take a ton of photos to share with readers here. All in the name of sharing excellence-in-education. Fun! ENJOY!

Let me repeat: This is not my work. Think of me as a 'reporter' documenting what I see on location. Think of me as a reporter documenting what I see, with VERY limited time available to do so. Hope that makes sense. ENJOY! 

photo of: Author Illustrator Anchor Charts at RainbowsWithinReach
Author/Illustrator Anchor Charts to Share and Compare Style and Approach 



Last spring I had an AMAZING day in West Palm Beach, FL with the kinders. 
The charts above were on the K bulletin boards. 
What a thrill to have my own style of work being compared to Mo Willems! 
BIG TIME DELIGHT!!!
LUV LUV LUV seeing myself being 'studied.' 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now. On to the idea of "ORGANIZING" your anchor charts!

A year ago I saw this next, INCREDIBLE collection of anchor charts in a SE Indiana elementary. 
Immediately, my reaction was "WOW" followed by "brilliant!"

I didn't think to 'turn over' the anchor charts to see exactly how they were affixed to the hangers. 
Didn't cross my mind at the time. Don't know. Can't tell you. 

BUT. 
Hopefully you get the global idea of how this concept, could simplify your world!!!
I put this photo in my HUGE ORGANIZATIONAL RoundUP earlier. 

Since then, I've kept my eyes peeled to see how others organize their anchor charts. 

photo of: Organize your Anchor Charts by Hanging them on Hangers

Hang-it-UP Organization! 
Get THYSELF some HANGERS!!!

The good news: I have amazing inspiration to share. 
The bad news: I'm not very clever at answering your questions. 

So I can't really give you the details on 'how' 
these specific systems were created.
You'll have to use your Yankee Ingenuity to replicate.

These next beauties were part of my West Palm visit.  

photo of: Kindergarten Anchor Charts (hanging from hangers) via RainbowsWithinReach

Same basic concept. 
Free-standing garment rack as base.
Both of these systems were right in the middle of the classroom. 

photo of: Anchor Charts Hanging on Hangers in Kindergarten (Environmental Print) via RainbowsWithinReach

Here's yet another parallel idea. 
This one is also in a kindergarten classroom. 
This time the school is in Wisconsin. 
The theme at the time was apparently colors-words and spelling. 

photo of: Anchor Charts for Color Piggyback Songs (Hanging on Hangers) via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Anchor Charts for Color Piggyback Songs (Hanging on Hangers) via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Anchor Charts for Color Piggyback Songs (Hanging on Hangers) via RainbowsWithinReach

Now we're going to leave my WI visit and return to IN only this time we're going to visit the amazing classroom of Kristen Poindexter in Indy. Kristen coordinated and hosted my school visit with her entire K-team, right there in her own room! Think LOTS and LOTS of k-kiddos together singing and dancing with me. You probably know her as "Kristen's Kindergarten." 

If you look closely at the examples that follow, you'll see that in some instances Kristen uses 'skirt' hangers, to clamp onto the completed anchor chart. They are then suspended on her clothes bar. This brings to a total of four rooms using the same basic idea. All of the racks were right in the middle of the room for easy access.


photo of: Anchor Chart Organization RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

You're going to really be impressed with Kristen's next three charts for three dimensional 'shapes.' 
Go ahead. Say it. You know you want to!  
WOW!!!

photo of: Three Dimensional Shape Anchor Chart at RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: 3D Shape Anchor Chart at RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Three dimensional Shape Attributes (Anchor Chart for Kindergarten) via RainbowsWithinReach



photo of: Hanging up Anchor Charts to Keep them Organized (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Hanging up Anchor Charts to Keep them Organized (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Hanging up Anchor Charts to Keep them Organized (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Hanging up Anchor Charts to Keep them Organized (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Anchor Charts in Kindergarten (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Punctuation Anchor Chart (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

If you're keeping track. That's two different schools in Indiana, one in Florida and one in Wisconsin that have each had teachers using a freestanding rack of sorts. 

This next little "Gingerbread Man" classic was hanging on a hanger from the bulletin board in Ohio. I glanced around the room, but never saw any evidence of the rest of a collection-on-hangers. There may have been a closet with other examples, all stowed neatly away? This is the only one I spotted. 

photo of: Gingerbread Anchor Chart via RainbowsWithinReach

So now that I'm on the Anchor Chart notion...... I thought I'd dig around through my files and see what other examples I have to share. [I had never used the blog 'label' for anchor charts until today, so you can't do a nifty simple search. Moving forward, I'll attempt to remember to use the tag when I share additional anchor charts.] 

I've seen any number of classroom examples for student's names. Here are a couple. 

photo of: Classroom Names on Anchor Chart at RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Classroom Names on Anchor Chart at RainbowsWithinReach

There are teachers making charts for every concept from A to Z!! 
Arctic to Zebra!! 

photo of: Anchor Charts in the Classroom (RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Deanna Jump Anchor Chart in RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

I had the great good pleasure of listening to Deanna Jump's SDE workshop in Orlando. 
Next month I will be on the agenda with her in VEGAS for "I Teach Kindergarten." 
These next several images are from her presentation. 

You'll need to come hear her on the road to see the gazillion other examples she shares. 
I just wanted to include a handful. 
Here she is sitting in the middle of her work.
If you somehow are not following her blog, its time! 


If you are here in 'real-time,' 
please pop back to the contest I launched on Sunday..... 
where one lucky winner will win a FULL registration for the upcoming event. 
{Worth $569!!) 
You still have two days to get fully invested in the giveaway of all time! 







Now let's move on to a wide variety of charts and posters.
I started with images of welcome and community building. 
On through a few holidays. 
And conclude with some EOY (end-of-year) goodies. 

photo of: WELCOME to the Classroom via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: "The Kindness Pledge" Anchor Chart in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach






photo of: "Hand Jive" Kindergarten Chart for Behavior Management via RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: Anchor Chart for Positive Hallway Behavior

photo of: First Grade Classroom Rule Bulletin Boards Using Theme of Respect

photo of: "Problem Solver" Suggestions for when someone is Bothering You Bulletin Board



photo of: Bulletin Board of Kindergarten Writing Goals (from Bulletin Board RoundUP via RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Daily Five Anchor Chart (Rockin' Teaching Materials via RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Daily Five Anchor Chart (Rockin' Teaching Materials via RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Elbow to Elbow, Knee to Knee with Photos (Rockin' Teaching Materials via RainbowsWithinReach)

Next up is an anchor chart that is LITERALLY color coordinated to the classroom decor. 
You owe it to yourself to click back here and see what I mean. 

photo of: Anchor Chart

photo of: "Classroom" Organization on a Color Scheme
Click the Picture to Take a Closer Look! 
photo of: "We Use Numbers at School" Making Math Meaningful by Photographing Math 'In Action'

photo of: Kindergarten Math Goals (Handwritten by students)

photo of: Kindergarten Math Anchor Chart for Numeracy Development

photo of: Math Anchor Chart: Odd and Even Numbers Rhyme

photo of: Anchor Chart on Tally Marks via RainbowsWithinReach



photo of: Using Rhymes for Counting Reinforcement in Kindergarten Math Art Activity

photo of: Scarecrow Anchor Chart in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Kindergarten Anchor Chart for Trick or Treating via RainbowsWithinReach




photo of: Project Based Patriotic Anchor Chart via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Project Based Learning Anchor Charts for American Studies at RainbowsWithinReach

anchor chart, color blue, hand writing, children's response, fine motor








photo of: Winter Rhymes and Anchor Charts via RainbowsWithinReach







photo of: Winter Mitten Anchor Chart Poem via RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: Anchor Chart for Humpty Dumpty (from Kindergarten)


photo of: Three Ways to Read a Book Anchor Chart


photo of: Writer's Revise Anchor Chart in Kindergarten

photo of: Writer's Workshop Procedures Anchor Chart



photo of: Writer's Workshop Procedures Focus Wall in Kindergarten

photo of: Adding Details Anchor Chart



photo of: Morning Meeting Anchor Charts via RainbowsWithinReach

anchor chart for kindergarten week, handwriting sample for kindergarten






photo of: Anchor chart for spring, spring poem for kindergarten, spring time poem for children


photo of: Kindergarten spring rhyme, frog rhyme, bird rhyme, handwriting









photo of: Kindergarten Anchor Chart for Early Reading via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Insect Song (Piggy Back) on Handwritten Anchor Chart

photo of: Anchor Chart with Caterpillar Observations (via RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Anchor Chart for Mammals Rhyme


photo of: Anchor Chart for Mother's Day, Mother's Day poem, kindergarten


Kindergarten Poem Written During my Two Day Residency with Mrs. Sherwood in Hilliard, OH


photo of: Kindergarten Graduation Song (Piggy Back Tune) via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Kindergarten Graduation Song (Piggy Back Tune) via RainbowsWithinReach



photo of: First Grade Anchor Chart of Sight Words (from Word Wall Round Up by RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: First Grade Bulletin Board of Behavior (Bulletin Board Round-UP via RainbowWithinReach)

photo of: First Grade Constitution: Rules for the Classroom signed by Students

Are you inspired? 
Are you ready to make your charts even better next year?

Let me conclude with one final example. 
We'll wrap up where we started: 
with a focus on my picture books. 

This next one is for my first picture book: 
"You're Wonderful."  

It was on display in Holly Rose's Kinder room in Westerville, OH..... where I have gone to conclude the school year, every spring for the last 10 YEARS!  


The song which became the text of my first book is now available digitally.
It gets used for lots of end-of-the year performances. 
It's equally appropriate to launch your new school year. 

photo of: "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement Digital Download Available Now

Speaking of Pinterest! 
I have an entire Pinboard dedicated to Anchor charts. 



It has been a collaborative board for quite some time, 
so there are now nearly 1400 pins from over 100 contributors. 


photo of: Collection of 100+ Anchor Charts and their Organization via RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

I can now see at Pinterest exactly how many people pin from my blog on a daily basis.
I'm so grateful for each and every one of you that pins..... 
that's how the vast majority of people *discover* me and my work.

photo of: You know you're a teacher: when you're obsessed with anchor charts! Anchor Chart RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

-- Debbie -- 

Follow Me on Pinterest
I'm now at 123,928 followers!     
Click this link to go there directly! 
Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - TeachersPayTeachers.com
Now at 412 followers!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm an art teacher and I'm thinking now about how I could rig something up for my huge collection of posters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. I'm always eager to 'attract' art teachers to introduce them to my existence! Glad that you've found me. Happy to be of help. There's SO much to organize in an art room, so I'm delighted this idea can contribute. Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading along.

      Debbie

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post! I love seeing how other teachers organise and create their anchor charts!

    In other news, Debbie, my little Aussie Grade 1 students are now spontaneously breaking into You're Wonderful and Glad I'm at School Today! They are absolutely taken with your songs, so thank you very much for sharing them with us!

    Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Stefffffffffffffffffffff.

      The world really is getting smaller. I have a little fanclub in OZ thanks to you! Making a trip to your side of the world is on the top of my bucket list for certain. Click my heels and I'm there! Let's work on that, K?

      Debbie

      Delete
  3. Um wow! Thanks for doing this! I have a little easel and I just put two sticker hooks on the sides and then stick butcher paper on it. It's not the best method so I'm glad to get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome. These RoundUPs are a labor-of-LUV and I'm so appreciative of your feedback. My favorite thing is to see how teachers design their spaces. LUV sharing those ideas with readers here.

      Welcome, V.A.N.E.S.S.A!!!

      Delete
  4. wow!-Thanks for the awesome post. One question, it seems that part of the experience of an anchor chart is creating it with the class, so why do people keep them? I am coming from a high school special education background so I am new to anchor charts. I used to do something similar as part of my brainstorming. Thanks for putting this great post together, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, my 'insight' would be that many/most anchor charts are indeed created 'with' and in front of the class, then laminated and 'saved' as part of the reference material that continues to inform the students in the room.

      I know there are probably as many ways to implement anchor chart usage as their are teachers. Those that are 'pre-created' are no doubt used as a form of group reading.

      Thanks for stopping by. Glad to share all the excellence that I observe in my travels.

      Debbie

      Delete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...