Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kindergarten Author-Illustrator School Visit

photo of: Kindergarten Excellence via RainbowsWithinReach


KINDERGARTEN AUTHOR-ILLUSTRATOR SCHOOL VISIT
Dateline: South Daytona Beach Elementary School

There's only one thing better than making a school visit as an author-illustrator. Pausing to allow you to guess. {Please insert the Jeopardy theme-song-jingle for flair during this broadcast silence.} The only thing better that a school visit? 

A RETURN SCHOOL VISIT! Of course!!!
On a return visit I already know the lay of the land. You already know me and have some of my materials. We each know what to expect and how to make the most out of our time together! I bring my camera fully charged and ready to document the excellence-in-education that I observe. You've had the time to direct your students in response to my projects. Win-Win!!

Behold the bulletin board on my behalf, just outside Mrs. Moller's front door. 
The title of my first picture book + Student writing = PomPoms shaking wildly!


photo of: "You're Wonderful" Bulletin Board with Kindergarten Writing via RainbowsWithinReach

"I think Berlyn in wonderful because she sometimes plays with me." 
"I think Jacksin is wonderful because he lies dragons and so do I." 
"I think Berlyn is wonderful because I like her and she likes me." 
"I think Superman is wonderful because he saves the day." 
"I think mommy is wonderful because she brings me medicine when I'm sick." 

"I think Raelena is wonderful because she loves me and I love her back." 
"I think Victoria is wonderful because she plays with me."
"I think my mom is wonderful because she makes the best food." 
"I think my family is wonderful because it is special." 

And now for my personal favorite!!!!
I hear she is funny. Take it on kindergarten authority. 
"I think Debbie Clement is wonderful because she is funny and she sings songs."

Now let's leave the hallway and take a peek around this incredible classroom. 
You're going to LUV LUV LUV her classic Chicka-Chicka tree. 
I asked Mrs. Moller for the 411. 
Carpet roll for the trunk. 
Lunch-sized paper bags for the bark. 
Coat hangers for the spines of the paper over-sized leaves. 
There ya have it! 

photo of: Tree in Kindergarten Corner via RainbowsWithinReach

I'll go insert this example in with its peers. 

I was tickled polka-dots to walk into the room and see all three of my picture books proudly on display on the chalk-tray! It's such a thrill to see my work right there amid the spelling words and number line. Makes me feel like I fit right into the classroom environment. What a welcome.


Just to the left of my picture books is the kindergarten's visual schedule for the day. I know that these are just the sort of tidbits that you're searching for to help create your own optimal environment and support your crew. So I do my best to document them -- when I'm out and about.


photo of: Visual Schedule in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach
Previous Article on my Blog, with OODLES of Visual Cues

photo of: Kindergarten Job Chart via RainbowsWithinReach

Clever and oh-so-simple job chart. How many 'jobs' do you have in your classroom? One for every student every day or just a handful of ubber special ones? I've seen every possible arrangement in the course of my travels. There's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to classroom jobs. What works for you? You're gonna LUV this 'counting' days system. Five stars!!!

photo of: Counting the Days in School System (with straws) via RainbowsWithinReach

I'm guessing that you've probably seen something similar to this on Pinterest somewhere by now. Mrs. Moller is the recipient of her own personalized gift. How on earth did we manage before Pinterest? 

photo of: Wreath of Crayons via RainbowsWithinReach

I know that readers here like to see how others organize all of their goodies. Look at this GREAT station for math manipulatives. Makes me want to start playing with all of these materials. Inviting. Organized. A place for everything and everything in its place. 

photo of: Kindergarten Organization of Math Materials via RainbowsWithinReach

Let me conclude with the handwritten anchor chart prominently on display. Clever. Clever. Well done. Yes, by all means pin this image as an example for your own files. I'm so grateful for your pinning the glimpses that I get to share from my travels. Your pin is what gives me some visibility in this great cyber stratosphere and I am forever grateful. {Insert puffy heart.}

photo of: Kindergarten Anchor Chart for Early Reading via RainbowsWithinReach

This is just one of the amazing NINE kinder-rooms that I got to pop into during my visit. I will be sharing the photos from other rooms and their ingenious teachers over the days, weeks and months ahead. Trust me, my camera's memory card is filled to the MAX from these recent school visits. So much to share, so little time. 

Here's a teeny glimpse of some of the fun that we had together in their multi-purpose room. It was Mrs. Moller's visiting daughter that was extra-kind and took a few photos for my scrapbook. I'm BIG on having BIG endings and this is a sweet reminder.

photo of: Debbie Clement of RainbowsWithinReach in Kindergarten Concert

-- Debbie -- 
Speaking of scrapbooks. Here's my first, ever Slideshare show detailing some of my earlier school visits and the incredible response to my time in schools across the country. It has already had 2300+ views in under two weeks (if their analytics are correct: WOW!) 


1 comment:

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...