Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Laughter & Learning














First of all let me state the obvious. I get paid to be a happy person. I get paid to show up on the happy channel. I get paid to elicit laughter. I am sought out because I am learning how to be funnier in my old age. I work diligently at keeping things light-hearted & giggle friendly. I was just sharing with a brand new friend, that one of my all time favorite tidbits of feedback, was when a participant shared after one of my workshops that she thought I was the "Carol Burnett of Early Childhood." I took her comment with the relish that she offered it. Wow. That's who I want to be when I grow up -- a much funnier me!

I don't recall being a funny child & I was certainly NEVER the class clown. Never, ever, never the class clown. ***Mom & dad put your fingers in your ears. Read no further today. Warning. Warning. Warning.

In fact I think I was 'sincerely-serious' as a youngun. I'm sure I got teacher brownie points, cuz I would certainly never create a guffaw and I could always be trusted to walk the lunch money to the principal's office. After some reflection I think it safe to say that my family-of-origin was a pretty serious unit. So it absolutely surprises me to realize that I can make people laugh. Yes. Make people laugh. I listen & observe very closely when people laugh at my antics. I study their reactions & I sculpt laughter into the day's recipe -- whether they are 3 years old or college undergrads or professional peers in the field.

How can you possibly look at these pictures and not smile? How could I possibly be in their midst and not use their laughter as a springboard to more fun? Laughter is their first language. I wonder what cumulative effect a career of making young children laugh has had on my immune system? It makes me smile just considering that question. I'm willing to learn a lot more about laughter.... and the role it plays in learning. I have heard several PhDs citing studies of how laughter and happy endorphins anchor learning, opening us up to our own best mechanisms for retention. Let's all laugh together. Have you had your inoculation of laughter this season? Today? Things to scratch your head over and just go hmmmmmmm.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...