Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shorty Lassie to the Rescue!!

Brother Dan update. As some of you may have read here, or perhaps seen on FB, my older brother Dan was in a fire in his home earlier this month. He spent nearly a week in an induced coma so that he could have some time for healing. He was in ICU for about 10 days. This is the official update.

I reported in that first post that Dan was rescued by a genuine-hero, 'Lassie-dog' style and I wanted to get back to you with a picture of the canine crusader who barked loud & long enough to alert the 911 call for help to come in earnest. It turns out that Lassie is actually named Shorty and as you can see has rather aptly earned that nick-name. Shorty was rescued earlier and given a good home and returned the favor of rescuing another. Rescuing a human. Rescuing Dan. All hail Shorty doggie!!

Dan continues to make phenomenal progress and has been in a step-down unit within the hospital now for nearly a week. His longer-term concerns are likely to be due to the smoke inhalation, as his burns continue to heal well -- according to the staff. He continues to receive therapy and brilliant care from a dedicated team. He is now undergoing a series of tests and will know more as this week unfolds. We have been able to speak frequently by phone and his voice is gaining much strength with each new call, so that alone is progress!

I am very grateful to those of you who have sent me messages in one forum or another -- sending prayers and well wishes for his continued progress. I relay the messages on to Dan and to the rest of our family. Everyone is grateful for your support, prayers and kind thoughts.

A HUGE thanks to Shorty for being alert and persistent. Shorty, I think you deserve a commendation. HUGE, ENORMOUS, AMAZING thanks and gratitude to the team of human care-givers who have done so much for Dan..... I know you deserve commendation.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your brother.
    I wish him good luck with recovery.
    He is lucky to have a sister like you by his site.

    How wonderful the story of Lassie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your encouraging words.

    My brother is out of the hospital and making an effort to regain some strength. I thought you'd appreciate seeing our "Lassie."

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...