Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pete the Cat: Response to Picture Books


photo of: Pete the Cat Classroom Response through Extended Projects

You're going to LUV LUV LUV these ideas!!! As an author-illustrator of picture books myself, I LUV seeing how teachers 'extend' the life of a book in their classroom -- for their students. There are so many possibilities with Eric Litwin's work. The illustrations by James Dean just beg for interpretation by teachers and students alike! Wait till you see this 'hand-made' version to support early literacy efforts!!

photo of: Pete the Cat Goes to Preschool, a class book response to popular picture book
Today marks a new day here at Rainbows Within Reach. NEW day alert!!!
As my old-time readers realize, I have been on a quest for the last year to get my blog connected to a wider world. I've made tons of progress and learned so much in the process. I'm learning from my analytics how readers are responding and what type of articles bring more interest from Pinterest. Today marks my transition to being an Amazon Associate! It's time to bring links of interest to you directly.... make your life easier and support my efforts all at the same. We'll see how it works.

In my travels making Author-Illustrator school visits I'm in and out of oodles of schools seeing tons of ideas in classrooms across the country. Today I'm featuring classroom responses to the ever-wildly-popular growing-more-classic-by-the-minute "Pete the Cat" series of picture books. Let's start with a unique teacher created 'class' book for preschool. 

photo of:Pete the Cat Goes to Preschool, a class book response to popular picture book
YUP!!! That's a LOT of teacher LUV to create an entire 'personalized' book for your classroom. Personal student photographs, watercolor adornment and lamination: bingo-bango you have your own rendition of the instant classic. 

Guarantee those kiddos are gonna-wanna turn these pages over and over again! I know I would!!
photo of: Preschool Class Project in response to Pete the Cat picture book
photo of: Preschool Class Project in response to Pete the Cat picture book

photo of: Preschool Class Project in response to Pete the Cat picture book
From this preschool material let's move on to a kindergarten response. Take a look at these handwritten inspirations!! I LUV LUV LUV the 'invented' spellings found on this bulletin board. Of course I'm also wild about the actual handwriting itself.
photo of: Pete the Cat Kindergarten Writing Response
photo of: Pete the Cat Kindergarten Writing Response

photo of: Pete the Cat Kindergarten Writing Response Project

photo of: Kindergarten Photographs for Writing Project in Kindergarten in response to Pete the Cat


These same kindergarten kiddos took their response one step further for a technology infused 'extension' project. First they had photos taken of their favorite pair of shoes! From there they then worked on the computer to draw their shoes and then write about them. What a brilliant leap into technology. 

photo of: Pete the Cat Response in Kindergarten using Technology

photo of: Pete the Cat Response in Kindergarten using Technology

photo of: Pete the Cat Response in Kindergarten using Technology

photo of: Pete the Cat Response in Kindergarten using Technology

I know you are inspired by these 'adaptations' of what are becoming instant classics for children. I believe when we make books 'come alive' for children we foster their desire to decode and do the work to read. These children will have an affinity for all the work of Litwin + James and that enthusiasm will continue to expand to works throughout the library collection. 


photo of: Picture Book Response to "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement through graphic quilt collaboration
Author Illustrator School Visit: Kindergarten Response, Long Island NY

My own school visits have been filled with amazing responses from students across the country to the illustrations I've created for my picture books. I LUV LUV LUV to see what they've come up with to extend the use of my books in their lives. I have TONS of articles here to share with examples. Here's a favorite link: Classroom Response. It has a YouTube video to introduce you to the song which is the text of "You're Wonderful." 

Keep on creating!!! Visit often and pin to your heart's content! I now have a *new* store over at Teachers Pay Teachers to offer immediate digital download of some of my songs (for purchase and a FREEBIE!) I'd be so honored if you'd follow my store there. 

Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - TeachersPayTeachers.com



-- Debbie --



This post has been added to TBA's international blog hop under the "Check out my Shoes" category!
Also added to Kindergarten RoundUP  Also added to the linkie on all things Pete over at Rubber Boots and Elf Shoes. Now added at Read it Again, Mommy.


Ruby Red Slippers

12 comments:

  1. I love making books using photos of my kids. I can't wait to make a Pete the Cat book.
    Lyn
    Mrs. Goff's Pre-K Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I'd LUV to see what you come up with!!! I know how much the wee ones LUV to see their own faces in the midst of a book! Glad to have offered some inspiration. Do you have a favorite that you've already done?

      Debbie

      Delete
  2. A lot of love and work went into that book. What a great idea! My son loves Pete the Cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. You got it! That was obviously a labor of absolute LUV LUV LUV! It's amazing to me the lengths teachers go to in their individual classrooms. I feel so fortunate to be able to share the excellence I see on the road!

      Debbie

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Pete and haven't met a preschool child who didn't enjoy his books. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Jennifer. It is my absolute pleasure to share these amazing ideas -- all in the hopes of offering you inspiration for your own efforts. Thanks so much for stopping through and offering your supportive comment.

      Debbie

      Delete
  4. Debbie! I'm in love with that class book idea! I'm going to have to attempt to make my own during the first few weeks of school! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Mary
    Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, this would indeed make your return to Kindergarten a terrific transition. I know that your students would treasure such a class book and would be turning its pages all year.

      Are you getting super excited?

      Debbie

      Delete
  5. A picture book combines visual and verbal narratives in a book format, most often aimed at young children. The images in picture books use a range of media such as oil paints, acrylics, watercolor and pencil.online photo prints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for linking up to the Pete Party.
    What a lot of fabulous ideas. Love the kids' faces in Pete's head, and their stories and their spelling.

    sandi
    rubber boots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. I will be using some of these ideas in the fall for SURE. :D

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...