Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oct: Breast Cancer Month


I'm taking a deep breath. Wondering where exactly to begin this installment?? Today begins an official month of BC awareness, exposure, discussion, disclosure. A lot has happened. I'm 1.5 years out from my diagnosis. Last year I was filled with gratitude over every pink ribbon hung, every pink product sold. I've learned a lot. There is controversy as to how much these various pink products contribute and where?? I've even learned the term: "pink-washing" to refer to 'feel good ribbons' at the expense of real progress toward a cure.

What I know for sure. We are our own best advocates.... especially so, when it comes to our own health. My BC was detected thru my annual mamogram. I was called back for additional film, then a biopsy, then a second opinion, then an MRI, then an MRI biopsy, then surgery, then radiation therapy and now AI prescription (thru my oncologist) -- sorta like a daily micro batch of chemo to ward off anything that might be lurking or ever want to lurk.

There are MANY issues when it comes to healthcare in this great country of ours.... many when it comes to BC, both diagnosis and treatment. I am the most fortunate of all. The cancer of my diagnosis is termed DCIS -- the last two letters are the most significant: in situ.... so, before invasion. I am the poster child for "early detection saves lives."

There is a brand new effort being launched for research. They want a million women in the test. Go and learn more at: http://www.armyofwomen.org/ and tell your friends.

So get all of the tests you need..... especially your annual ones. Read the fine print on the pink products and be aware of what you are supporting. Thank you to everyone who "walks" for this issue. The pictures above are the back of my first Koman walk t-shirt. The names in the top pic are the nicknames of those who were active in the chatroom, when I was first diagnosed. The nick names at the bottom are those of the MI team, "Wings of Hope" that walked together in Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...