Sunday, April 14, 2019

Kusama Contemporary Artist Study: POLKA DOT PALOOZA!


Kusama Artist Study in 2nd Grade: Polka Dot Palooza

My very favorite thing about making an author school visit is seeing the children's art that is on display in the hallways. I recently returned to a central Ohio school where I have visited annually with the kindergarten students. SHAZAM!!!! I'm calling this project the perfect  ---Polka Dot Palooza! 

If you know anything about me personally? I LUV LUV LUV polka dots! There are oodles of polka dots in my 3 picture books. My house is filled with polka dots. I personally painted polka dots on to my author suitcase. I have painted polka dots onto my author outfits.   
I LUV POLKA DOTS! 

Airport: My carry on with hand painted polka dots! 


^^^It took me forever to paint the polka dots onto my suitcase, as the paint was absorbed by the cover fabric, but over time as I persisted and painted layer-over-layer, the paint won out! 

This fall I had GREAT fun stenciling all manner of polka dots onto a table in our dining room. One can never have enough polka dots. They look great with stripes and checker boards, too! I used a combination of stencils, polka dot 'daubers' and pencil erasers, too! 


Back to my author visit and seeing the Yayoi Kusama project created in Hilliard by the second graders. Am-A-ZING! 



Kusama Artist Study in 2nd Grade: Polka Dot Palooza

It appears to my trained Art Teacher eye, that each student painted their own unique polka dot 'backdrop' and then painted a matching polka dot apron to wear for their individual photo shoot. How BRILLIANT is this? 

Image result for kusama polka dot quote

"Polka dots can't stay alone. When we obliterate nature and our bodies with polka dots, we become part of the unity of our environments." Yayoi Kusama

"With just one polka dot, nothing can be achieved. In the universe, there is the sun, the moon, the earth, and hundreds of millions of stars. All of us live in the unfathomable mystery and infinitude of the universe. Pursuing 'philosophy of the universe' through art under such circumstances has led me to what I call 'stereotypical repetition.' "Yayoi Kusama

"More and more, I think about the role of the arts, and as an artist, I think that it's important that I share the love and peace." Yayoi Kusama
Image result for kusama polka dot quote
Image result for kusama polka dot quote

Image result for kusama polka dot quote

***(I didn't have enough time to speak to the brilliant Mr. Art Teacher to get the specifics. There are never enough minutes in the day, but this is too inspirational not to share.) 


What an utterly amazing project to do while studying the life and contribution of a contemporary artist. You can see what success was created by these second graders. I think the 'concept' could be replicated by both older and younger students. 


Here's just a little glimpse into the fun I have with the kindergarten students in this school, during my author visit. Making this an annual visit, I am greeted by the 'older' students and it is such fun to hear their memories from visits years earlier. THEY REMEMBER! 

Author Visit with Debbie Clement to Kindergarten Classroom

I have earlier RoundUPs of Art History 101, 102, and 103. 
LOTS of Ideas as seen on dozens of my previous author visits. 
{Just click the images below to go to each of the earlier blog articles.}


Art History 102: Elementary School Response to the Masters via RainbowsWithinReach

Art History 103: Early Elementary Projects in Response to the Masters at RainbowsWithinReach


BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! We have just received the news that the Wobble Seats that we distribute have been put on a permanently reduced price. The manufacture has been able to locate a company able to create them at a lesser cost and they are passing the savings on to you! 


***This is the perfect time to remind your administration that you would like to use (or expand) the flexible seating options in your classroom. Over the years we have seen schools use that last little drop of $$ in their budget as the year winds down on discretionary purchases such as Wobble Seats. 

Be the squeakie wheel. Remind your front office of your interest. 

I know that many of you are beginning to plan for your End-of-Year events. Some while ago I wrote this little poem and have since turned it into a song. Many of my teacher friends are using the song for their 'slide show' sound track. It is available at TpT as a digital download in Mp3 format. 

photo of: End of School Year Poem by Debbie Clement NOW A SONG!
Click Picture for Link to TpT Digital Download 

If you need a little reminder about the worthiness of your work -- look no further. Below you'll find a little video of my song-via-poem, stitched together with love and poignant pictures from some of  my besties. Now just imagine it playing with photos from your school year triumphs! 



Two of my picture books-in-song, lend themselves to end of year performances. 
The digital download file for each includes everything that you need to have your students ready to perform for loving parents to conclude your year. 

End of Year Performance Songs for Kindergarten and Preschool
[Click on the image to go directly to my TpT digital store]

Here's the direct link to digital "You're Wonderful" 
Here's the direct link to digital "Red, White and Blue" 

***This article below from several years ago, using grass seed as 'hair' continues to climb in my Top 10 list of articles. This is the perfect time to go take a look at all the inspiration and different ways you might use seeds, and especially grass seeds this spring! 

photo of: Springtime Science with Seeds at Kindergarten Rocks via RainbowsWithinReach
Click the picture to go to the earlier article and get additional inspiration for grass seeds. 


Let me conclude with an uplifting verse from scripture brought to life with 'polka dots!' 

These last couple of years have been filled with an array of on-going challenges. In juggling all of the balls, the one that got dropped was my blogging. My hope is to return once more to this format to inspire, support and encourage you. Ever onward.  


-- Debbie 


Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...