Sunday, February 9, 2014

"You're Wonderful" Words of Affirmation! Kindergarten Graduation

"You're Wonderful" Kindergarten Art Response of Affirmation for Author School visit with Debbie Clement

Kindergarten GRADUATION Preparation, in FEBRUARY?

Welcome to my little corner of the cyber-verse. I'm a music-lady, morphed into an author-illustrator of picture books. I travel about the country sharing my work with students far and wide. My favorite thing, is to see how teachers have directed their students to 'respond' and 'extend' my work. This has GOT to be one of the most 'amazing' variations on a theme that I have yet to encounter! 

{I chose to make the illustrations for my book version of my song, "You're Wonderful" from fabric, as small contemporary quilts. Think bright. Think color. Think shapes. Think patterns. Take a peek.}  


"You're Wonderful" Picture Book by Debbie Clement (quilted illustrations)

Welcome to kindergarten in central Texas. These kinders were under the direction of my cyber friend Amy, the blogger behind the scenes at "Teaching in Blue Jeans" fame. She told me how this collaborative quilt above, was created. After her students became familiar with the vocabulary within my song, "You're Wonderful" they began working on their own variation. 

The part I LUV? Amy described how she brought each of her students, one at a time into the center of their peers. As teachers she then asked the students to give the spotlight student 'descriptors' of their classmate. After there were at least four or five 'suggested' adjectives, the child in the center of attention, then "chose" the descriptor that they wanted to display on the class quilt.

Kindergarten Artwork in Response to "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement

What an incredible experience of affirmation: 
Take a 'bath' in the positive perceptions of your fellow classmates. 

Even at the age of five and six, I can imagine the power of such an exercise! 

Affirmations! Patterns and Art in Kindergarten at RainbowsWithinReach

I think this same idea could be replicated -- 
no matter what the age of the participants!

I am WILD about the open-ended nature of these compositions.

Quilts and Patterns in Kindergarten Art

Quilts and Patterns in Kindergarten Art

Quilt Squares in Student Art in Response to "You're Wonderful"

Here's a little glimpse in the school library of our getting underway. 
I always start by having everyone close their eyes -- 
so I can pull out a surprise from my polka dot suitcase. 

Author-Illustrator Visit complete with Surprises: Debbie Clement Presentation

This little 'dittie' of mine gets used a LOT for end-of-the-year celebrations. 
This is the perfect time to introduce it to your the students. 
Once they sing it regularly, the 'performance' becomes very natural. 

Take a listen and enjoy the Kinder-Art. 



I thought it would be fun to take a 'look back' over earlier projects created. 
These are a few of my favorites -- scooped up in the time available.
As you will see, they are an amazing combo of Art & writing.  

Self Portraits in Kindergarten with Patterns

Adjectives of Affirmation for Kindergarten Self Esteem

Kindergarten Bulletin Board for Author Study "You're Wonderful"

Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

Kinder Self Portrait for Author Study

Kindergarten Author Studies Comparison of Mo Willems and Debbie Clement

Author Study Bulletin Board for "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement

"You're Wonderful" Bulletin Board with Kindergarten Writing via RainbowsWithinReach


Kindergarten Bulletin Board Group Collaboration in Preparation of Author-Illustrator School Visit with Debbie Clement

photo of: Kindergarten Group Collaborative Art Project using Quilt Squares in Preparation for Author Illustrator School Visit



photo of: Third Grade Designs in Response to "You're Wonderful" Picture Book

photo of: Collaborative Bulletin Board in Response to Picture Book "You're Wonderful" (from Bulletin Board RoundUP by RainbowsWithinReach)

photo of: Kindergarten Response to picture book, "You're Wonderful" during Author Illustrator School Visit

photo of: Invented Spelling of Kinder-Version of "You're Wonderful" by Debbie Clement

Here's the link to my digital product over at Teachers Pay Teachers. 
[Just click picture below]

I have just put the zipped file on "SALE" at 50% off of the usual price. 
I will keep it at this reduced price for the next couple of days. 


I have a pinboard for all things affirmation and quilt like. 


I have an earlier RoundUP of all things "Quilt" that I have seen in my school visits. 
It is filled with ideas and inspiration. 

Quilts in the Classroom: Art Meets Geometry RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lyn. My favorite thing is to see what the teachers dream up in response to my work. The creative insight that you come up with is utterly brilliant!

      Debbie

      Delete
  2. So fun to look back on these cute projects and even more special to spot creations of some of my own students from last year! Your book is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy!!!! I'm such a fan of what you directed with your wonders! Those are treasured keepsakes -- each and every one! Such fortunate peeps to have your insight at the helm. Fun to relive seeing them all over again.

      Debbie

      Delete
  3. Just WONDERFUL! We had such a great time with you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...