Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY UP-Cycled PomPoms!

DIY PomPom shakers from UPcycled plastic bags

BRAINSTORM! BRAINSTORM!! BRAINSTORM!!!!!
"Necessity is the mother of invention!!" 

Yesterday I started turning my brains toward Chicago, Concordia's Annual Back-to-School Early Childhood Conference has been on my dance card for years! August? Concordia! 

This year one of my topics is, "Let's Get Moving: Stemming the Tide of Childhood Obesity." I had in my head that we would sing my ubber-upbeat, marching dittie, "Eating Healthy." I 'always' perform that in PomPom shakin'-- knees-up marchin' style. 

Imagine my chagrin yesterday when opening my travelin' Debbie suitcase to see that my PomPoms were missing. No problem. Every dollar store worth its salt, sells PomPoms. This morning I awoke with a flash of inspiration. TA-DA!!!!!


photo of: Details for Upcycled PomPom Shakers from Plastic Bag (via RainbowsWIthinReach)

I have contributed lots of 'gifts' to the world of young children.... and this idea will certainly be one part of my legacy. It's the kind of idea that I can imagine will be used forever, but the source will long since be forgotten. I really do think this was my 'original-novel' idea! Get thee to thy cupboards filled to the brim with plastic bags and start converting them into props that will burn calories  through the entire new year at hand!


photo of: DIY PomPom shakers from UPcycled plastic bags

My first effort this morning I used two standard issue Walmart plastic bags. Gathered them together, near the handles with a rubber band. Cut off the bag bottoms and then cut the strips into the bag. I choose to 'anchor' the bag's handles with some tape -- as that gives the child a specific spot to hang on to. Let the shaking begin! 


photo of: DIY PomPom shakers from UPcycled plastic bags

Of course it goes without saying that having two PomPoms for every child will encourage all sorts of 'bilateral' movement and crossing the midline. Since these are free, there's nothing to stop you from having enough sets for everyone in your program!!


By all means lease 'pin' this idea so that others can get started on the fun. 
-- Debbie -- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...