Saturday, July 3, 2010

S-P-U-D!!!!!




Favorite things about Door County: daisies, blue skies, the shoreline, red barns hanging on the hillsides, cherries, sailboats in the sundowns, artist studios, a simpler pace, my bicycle, American Folklore Theatre, concerts, the depth of the fern, cherries, lasagna, gardens-in-bloom, sculpture along the woods, exhaling, people watching, taking photographs of the nooks & crannies, spinach salad topped with cherries, lasagna from Pasta Vino and the occaisional ice cream extravaganza at Wilsons.

On that simpler pace........ I'm riding my bike around our little village and gradually riding in bigger chunks. After this winter's surgery I have been taking it slow. Pacing myself or being paced as the case may be. I started on the flat roads here in the village proper, round & round. I'm now able to make it up the incline past the fire station & on up a bit further to the baseball diamond. Earlier this week as I pulled in to circle the lovely flat parking lot by the tennis courts I saw a group playing SPUD. Yes. That SPUD. The same SPUD I 'taught' as a camp counselor about 30 some years ago..... the same SPUD that I played as a child about 40 some years ago.

Same idea. Lotsa kids. In a circle up close. Throw the ball as high as you can. Holler someone's name as the group scatters. The called one yells SPUD just as soon as they catch the ball and everyone freezes. Golly I hadn't thought about SPUD in a long time. Took me right back to church camp and then all the way back to elementary school recess. Some things never go outta style. (P.S. I voluteered to come down to the Teen Center and share my ditties and books. I need a local fan-club.)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love that game - I used to play it often with my students! We play it indoors too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Deborah.
    The classics are classic for a reason I suppose. They are always in style!! Indoors? Gotta have a gymnasium ceiling??

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...